College of Sciences

Meet George Batshon

Meet George, a first-year microbiology major at NC State. George was born in Jerusalem, but he has spent most of his life in the Charlotte area. A fun fact about George is that he can say the ABCs backward. While studying at the NC State European Center in Prague, his favorite course was the Czech culture and language class, and he learned a ton!

Student posing with his arms up with a coast town in the background

Program/Term:

Prague Connect, Fall 2023

Major/College:

Microbiology major, Animal Science, College of Sciences

Why did you choose the Prague Connect program?

I chose Prague Connect because I wanted to begin my academic career at NC State with a group of people I knew would be coming with me. The Program itself was also very intriguing to me. I had never visited Europe, and I loved the opportunity to travel while I was getting credits.

Prague's Old town square

How did the Connect program prepare you for your time on campus at NC State?

The Connect program helped prepare me in a couple of ways. Firstly, it got me used to dorm life and respecting the cleanliness of my dorm room that I shared with a roommate. I also had to balance a busy schedule, and I was the only person who could keep me on time for everything I planned. Lastly, the classes were a great way to prepare myself for a college workload slowly.

How long did it take you to settle in and acclimate to the program/Prague?

I acclimated to the Program very quickly. Many people speak English in Prague, so I always felt safe traveling there. My professors also did a great job of answering any questions I had about their classes or Prague in general. Being away from home is hard, but it’s an experience everyone there is having, so it was pretty easy to bond.

What studying abroad cemented in my brain is that the world is awesome to explore, and I want to do it more. Whether it’s another study abroad experience or a personal trip, traveling the world has become my priority.

Student posing with sculptures in an art gallery

Tell us about one of your favorite memories from your time abroad.

One of my favorite memories of studying abroad was visiting Spain to visit my friend studying abroad at the Blue School. We shared our European experiences. I explored Granada and tried a lot of new food. I also got a lot of nice photos; it was cool to think about the similarities and differences between our study abroad experiences.

What are some of the most significant impacts that your time abroad had on you?

The biggest impact my time abroad had on me was that it made me more interested in traveling the world. I always liked traveling but never really made it a life goal to visit many places. Studying abroad cemented in my brain that the world is awesome to explore, and I want to do it more. Whether it’s another study abroad experience or a personal trip, traveling the world has become my priority.